Wednesday, October 21, 2009
"Ok, is she aware we have three kids and are currently married?"
"...sigh... Ok, but you have to annouce you are ghost writing this."
(Kim reads the previous three sentances)
HEY! I'm Kim's husband Dan and I am ghost writing this blog. Do not adjust your computer screens, you just read that. That just happened. Really.
So, Kim got really into blogging a few months back, but it has been a while since her last post, so I decided I should do it. Now, the bad news. I am not equipped with a vagina.
Why does that matter? I don't know. But I thought it best YOU know. If I did have one, that would be weird.
So, I went in to this diatribe on FiST duties, but that got boring and I deleted it. Check out NAVMC 3500.7 Artillery if you are interested. Anyhow, Kim hasn't been up to too much. The kids are good. My job has been extremely bogged down in admin stuff lately, so I could use a break.
So the baby has been getting in to stuff. Georgia has gotten past her monster phase. The more things change I suppose. Kim loves me. She just told me.
Well, now I see why I didn't start a blog. You people are getting this for free. That's crap. You all OWE ME!
P. S. Check you out some FOTC
Friday, September 4, 2009
Defense secretary Gates, and the family members of the Marine asked the associated press not to run the photo. But the AP Editors decided it was necessary.
The caption of the photo reads as follows:
In this photo taken Friday, Aug. 14, Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard is tended to
by fellow U.S. Marines after being hit by a rocket propelled grenade during a
firefight against the Taliban in the village of Dahaneh in the Helmand province
of Afghanistan. Bernard was transported by helicopter to Camp Leatherneck where
he later died of his wounds.
My heart aches for the family. I know a journalist job is to take pictures and journal everything. But I think discretion needs to be used in what is published. I think it was incredibly disrespectful for them to run the photo.
I am not including a link, but if you want to see the article I am sure you can search it and find it.
In wars past photo journalism has played a role. There are pictures of us dropping the bomb on Hiroshima, Planting the flag at Iwo Jima, and pictures of the destruction at pearl harbor. So why is this one different to me?
I feel it is disrespectful to mass release a picture of such an intimate moment as this. Especially against the Families wishes, and against Secretary Gates wishes. I feel the picture maybe should have been archived if it was truly taken for historical documentation, but not necessarily released in such a public fashion.
I am very interested in other perspectives on this issue.
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Bethany K. Tant, D.D.S.
So I had a fabulous consultation, they were very friendly and knowledgeable. I got to see before and after pictures of procedures in their waiting room. I definitely decided that I was ok with bringing my family here for their cleanings.
I know I am going on and on but I was really happy :) during my kids cleanings the hygienists were amazing. I wish I had gotten their names. The one who got Georgia was incredibly patient and actually got to clean her teeth. (She has been to 3 other dentists with no luck) Georgia was then so excited to get a prize from the little prize Machine they have.
Tommy did amazing as always. His hygienist was wonderful as well. He is starting to get his adult teeth in and is expected to start loosing teeth soon!
When I heard Tommy was getting his adult teeth I started to get very nostalgic. He is in kindergarten, loosing teeth... He is growing up so fast on me. It feels like he was just born... and now he is such a big boy! So much has changed in the last 5 years.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Then to zoom in on it... Georgia put all her clothes, all the baby clothes, all the blankets and diapers she could find in the baby's crib!! Kat thought it was about the funniest thing she had ever seen, and Georgia was pretty proud of herself too. So then of course I had to refold everything! UGHHH
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Let me begin this blog with a gratuitous roadkill picture. We kept seeing these dead birds on the sides of the bridges. They would fly over the bridges never seeing the cars and the cars would just knock them right out of the sky... So I made Dan stop in the middle of the bridge so I could get a picture.
I found out however that is not how my Mother in law typically vacations.
I thought it was quirky when we went to the blackbeard museum, a little weird when we took 3 kids into another museum all about shipwrecks. I think Dan and Teresa took pride in not leaving any word unread. The kids however seemed to finish up with the museums a little quicker. Georgia and I would kill sometime taking a freaking tour of the bathroom of every darn building we entered. I was about done with the museums by the time we got to the Indian Museum. I stayed in the car with the sleeping girls while Dan and his mom took Tommy.
Now really I enjoyed the museums, I just would never have imagined going to so many on a vacation. Teresa and Dan told me later how relaxed this vacation was and how usually they are just trying to see as many things as they fit in. (I am pretty sure they really meant how many museums they could fit in)
The Light house
Teresa, Tommy and I climbed the lighthouse. It was an experience I think we will all remember for a long time to come. One of the highlights of the trips for sure. We then.... you guessed it... walked around another museum!!! This one was about lighthouses. I walked around it for a few min with Georgia, then she decided it was time to check out the bathroom facilities and see if they were up to par. After that we just walked around outside and enjoyed the outdoors while Teresa and Dan read every word possible in the museum.
Dans Idea of a Vacation:
We all had a very good time together and I can't wait for some time to go back to the outerbanks and spend some time in the sand and water. The parts I would recommend the most would be the Hatteras Lighthouse, the ferrys, the Breakwater Inn, and the Cafe at Avalon.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Thursday, July 30, 2009
1. I have gone through 6 or 7 babysitters... 2 got sent to the ER
2. Cops- I got a speeding ticket (yes, another one)--- The cop didn't even clock me, he was just estimating my speed. I am totally fighting it. The bad news is my court date is when my MIL is going to be in town, I am hoping to reschedule.
3. Roadside assistance I went to the beach one day and locked my keys in the car. The roadside assistance people didn't think me telling them I was parked at the officer beach pavillion at Onslow beach on Camp Lejeune was enough information... So I had to fight with them and got really frusterated... but finally they came and unlocked my car.
4. DMV- I tried to register our truck in NC but I was not able to because I did not have a copy of my husbands military ID. I was sincerly amazed that I had a copy of orders, POA, title, registration, SS card, birth certificate... EVERYTHING under the sun... but no... Even with a copy of orders I guess I could not prove Dan was in the military... sigh...
5. WESTERN UNION Dan ran into a problem and needed money sent fast in 29 palms. So I sent money Via Western Union. Horror story from H***! They did not believe 29 palms was a name of a place. Which I think is fantastic because they have a western Union in exchange on base. So once I finally got them to believe me. They sent the money.... which was great... except they also decided to send the same amount of money to 29 POUNDS CA. as well. They took the money out 2 times!! I called them to fix it and they sounded so helpfull, they promised me the money would be back in the account in 48 hours, they would expidite it, everything they promised me the world.
But I would check each time they said, and it didn't come. I would call back, and they would tell me stories of having the department responcible for refunds calling within an hour. They didn't, so I would call back... and be told they have no such department, it is all computer. Basically they would feed me what ever BS they could to get me off the phone. They told me OH we sent the money, I don't know why your bank hasn't processed it, you should call your bank. I was told My bank has a policy of holding the funds for 7-10 days... called my bank NOPE! This went on for about 20 phone calls. I finally got a lady that told me this was MY fault this happened and I should have corrected the problem sooner. UHHH WHAT??? Well long story short... I got the money back. I will NEVER use WU again
6. Kitten - So not too long ago we found two stray kittens. I took care of them for a couple days but it was another crazy thing for me to deal with so I found them another home. I was happy, Tommy was VERY SAD. So recently we saw this tiny kitten that was obviously not doing well. I ignored him for a few days, but he stayed around outside. My kids started to play with this little one, and the kitten would come to my kids whenever he heard them. So we took the darn thing to the vet to see how bad off it was. The kitten was less than 4 weeks old, mal nurished, worms, infection, fleas you name it. So... we nursed it back, fed and gave it medicine 6 times a day. And now we have a new pet. I'm not thrilled about it, but Tommy is, he has been cleaning the litter box and feeding it. So what the heck. Tommy Named it either M16 or Halo 3 but he wants his dad to decide the final name.
7. Babysitter- I have been having my next door neighbor babysit my kids on Tuesdays and Sundays while I have been at work. She is really great, the kids like her, and she calls herself grandma. The one thing that drives me nuts is insists on naps for the kids, and she will let them sleep as long as they want. I don't know how she gets Georgia to nap, but she has been taking like 4 hour naps while "grandma" is watching her. I would love if Georgia napped for me, but it really screws up her sleep schedule. So on Tuesdays and Sundays Georgia has been staying up untill 1 or 2 am because I just can't get her to sleep. Oh did I tell you that she puts Kat to bed at 4 or 5 in the evening? So after I stay up late with Georgia I have to get up at an ungodly hour with Kat. I have talked to her about this a few times and she says oh yes Georgia takes GOOD naps! This woman is really a blessing to have around, but the nap thing makes me crazy.
8. Wandering Jew- I have a wandering Jew in my house. It is another thing I feel suckered into. A houseplant. I don't like plants. I don't want to be responcible for anymore living things. It is pretty... and I don't want it dead... but sheesh...
9. MIL- I am incredibly lucky to have the MIL that I have. She is visiting about the same time Dan is getting home from 29 palms. I am really looking forward to visit, but I am just seriously exhausted from the last 6 weeks.
10. Georgia - Because no blog post is complete with out something about this little one.
- Potty training- I just decided not to use diapers anymore. I put underwear on her and if she peed then I cleaned it up... I decided we don't have any carpet and she HAS to learn. She kept asking me for diapers, and I just said no. It has been about 4 weeks of cleaning up accidents, but finally she is starting to go to the bathroom on her own. Today was the first day without any accidents. I don't know if this was the right way or not. But honestly Georgias a stubborn girl and I had to show her I was more stubborn.
- Walmart- My daughter makes this incredibly obnoxious screaming sound when she is not in the mood for something and I make her do it. So she did it through walmart, it was just a quick trip... but I was pretty annoyed with her. We got to the cash register and after stopping for a second she started again. I looked at her and just said STOP! The person who was checking us out was really amused by the whole thing and says to Georgia "whats wrong honey" Georgia tipped her chin down so she was looking at me out of the very top of her eyes glaring at me and just points to me. I just can't wait to let Dan have a turn.
Kat- Is getting SO big and adorable! She said DADA for the first time today... I feel a little ripped off, I think it should have been MAMA. But it was still a really special moment. I wish Dan could have been here.
Tommy- Tommy just wants his Dad home so bad, he can't wait! If he likes what we had for dinner he asks if he can save some for dad. If we get treats he wants to save one for dad. He has made a million little pictures for dad. All he talks about is playing video games with dad. And if Dad likes lemonade... this and that... I am so happy that he loves his Dad.... and I feel bad he misses his dad so much. But at this point I am looking forward to Dan being home so maybe I don't have to hear quite so much about him... Is that horrible?
So seriously this is one of the longest blogs ever... and I didn't even cover everything. I just have not had the time or energy to do it before.
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Friday, July 17, 2009
Wow, now that's something to be proud of... now everyone go out and search for pussy drainage on google! Just kidding of course, heavens knows what you would find.
At first I was quite concerned on how pussy drainage linked to my site. To me it sounds like a bad way to refer to a womans monthly cycle, or maybe something that happens after you give birth?
I figured it out though, it was in reference to "dr appt"-- about a really bad ear infection Georgia had that she had pus draining from her ear. (link below)
So I wonder, after I post this am I going to move up on the googles list for "pussy drainage"? YIKES!
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Here are the finished products... This is Miss Georgia's
And little Miss Katherine's
This is one we all did together because we had an extra canvas. Tommy Hated this picture because of how "messy" it was
Lastly our very own Picasso, Master Thomas
Everyone got baths we cleaned up the room, with no paint spills on the floor and walls YAY!! I then let the kids watch a movie to wind down a little then I put them to bed. I got a phone call from my incredibly handsome husband and totally assumed my kids were all sleeping little angels... welll ummm.... NO!!
Totally covered in my makeup from head to toe!!!
Saturday, June 27, 2009
YES!! that says "not pregnant"!!! I don't think I have ever been so happy in my life :)
***** Warning TMI*********
I started having periods again like 8 weeks after my baby Katherine was born. They have been very irregular, for a while they were coming every 2 weeks. Then it slowed down to once a month. Then gone for the last two months. So I got a little worried. I haven't felt pregnant, and I really didn't think I was. I just wanted to make sure before I had a couple beers... and I am NOT pregnant!!!! whoo hoo :)
If I had the name Hoffmaster...
I would defiantly start brewing beer, I mean how could you not??? The name Hoffmaster increases your beer credibility ten fold! Seriously Jess, think about it.
About coming to visit, it really depends on Dan's schedule that is changing every 5 min since he has been in the Marines. His deployment has been cancelled, but I think someone knows something that they are not telling us. They are still doing their workups to leave. You know how it is I'm sure. Why don't you guys come drive down and visit us! Come spend the week at the beach!
So I am having a bunco night, I would love if you would come
(yes everyone who reads my blog!)
Send me a message if you want info. I am having some of the girls from my work come over and I am really hoping to have enough people to play.
My new job has been so much fun! I have loved doing hair in the salon setting. I am still doing hair out of my house, but it is really nice to have the energy of a salon again.
I have dreaded working for the company I work for, because it is a corporation that has a lot of corporate BS to go along with it. But I have enjoyed it so much I can't even tell you. I work with such a diverse group of stylists, and they are really good! I actually have a Ton of respect for them.
One of my favorite parts of my job is just to listen to peoples stories. Everyone has a story. If I ever wrote a book I would just take random pictures of people and tell their stories. I think on occasion I will start anonymous writing the stories on here.
My favorite customer I ever had was this little lady who was retired, who traveled around the world trying to find the single best piece of chocolate. She amused be for probably 2 years with the stories of her travels. She would go to Switzerland, china, Italy, England and everywhere. Was it true or not? I don't know. But she came in to me faithfully and told me of the wonderful places she had been. Even if the stories weren't true, I think the time it took me to cut her hair was really a great vacation for both of us. She was one of the sweetest people I have ever met, I really miss her a lot. I hope as I age I can age as gracefully as her.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
-We went to the park today, it turned into a real hassle and I don't want to talk about it
- I am getting ready for Dan to leave for 45 days, I have mixed feelings and don't want to talk about that either
- My kids are all doing well.
- I've been playing tetris online at night instead of sleeping
So that's pretty much it. I guess you will just have to wait for blogger diarrhea to hit :) I was going to upload a picture, but thats not even working! Oh well, just wait untill I haven't spoken to an adult in a few days. That always gets the blog going.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Tommy and Georgia got bored with all the fish and sea creatures, but they never got bored of the ones they could climb on. As we were leaving I asked Tommy what his favorite part was and he said when we took a break and got smoothies. Darn it... next time skip the aquarium and just get the smoothies! Then he said his other favorite part was digging for sharks teeth.
These are albino frogs... weird huh?
Stay at home dad challenge #3 get the girl to sleep-
Interesting method, if they are tired enough they will pretty much put themselves to sleep. But he made sure to leave her there a few min so she was in a good deep sleep before trying to transfer her into bed. You wouldn't want to have to put her to sleep twice wouldya?
So really Dan did awesome! He helped me out with the dishes when I got home, and he really made my life easier. He also got a lot of time with the kids I know the kids really have loved that. I may have done things a little different, but I had 3 happy healthy children when I got home so who would I be to complain.
Friday, June 12, 2009
12:10 rolls around, and still no one shows up. I call the older sister and she says "well between you and my mother calling I have not had time to get ready to pick her up, so she had to walk home"
So first of all, she was blaming ME?? for making her late? for calling her because SHE is running like 2 hours late?
So then I don't say anything about that and she says she will be here with in an hour. I have stayed at home waiting for her, I am supposed to go somewhere and fill out paperwork for a job, I am supposed to be meeting a friend today. But instead I am sitting here waiting for her, and she doesn't even apologize? Why was I the one who had to call her?
If it wasn't for the fact that it is this girls high school graduation today, I would have left and not called. My annoyance is really with the older sister, and it sounds like this poor girls day has been crappy enough.
I just wish she would understand that my time is just as valuable as hers.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
2. The shirt was NEVER to be found. The CO and his wife turned the house upside down. Georgias shirt completely disapeared.
3. I ended up cutting Georgia's hair short... It was looking pretty funky. It looks pretty funky short too, but at least it is not a mullet.
Step 1: Teach a Doll That WetsYour child will learn by teaching the doll how to go potty. Have your child name the doll and give it something to drink. Then walk the doll to the potty chair with your child. Pull the doll's "big kid" underwear down and watch the doll go potty together.
Step 2: Throw the Doll a Potty Party!When the doll successfully goes potty, throw a potty party! Make it a big blowout with party hats, horns and celebrate. Give lots of attention to the doll so that your child understands that going potty is a good thing. Let your child know that when he goes potty, he will have a potty party too. Not only that, your child gets to call his favorite superhero to report the good news!
Step 3: Get Rid of the DiapersAt the beginning of the process you placed underwear on your child's doll. Now it's time to take away the diapers and put underwear on your child.Step 4: Drink Lots of FluidsGive your child plenty of fluids to drink. The sooner he has to go potty, the sooner you can begin potty training.
Step 5: Ten Trips to Potty When AccidentAsk your child if he needs to go potty. Your child might say no and that's OK. Because you've given your child plenty of fluids, he will soon need to go. If your child has an accident in his underwear, don't scold him. You want this to be a positive experience. Instead, take your child to the potty, pull his underwear down, and have your child sit down. Do this 10 times. This builds muscle memory and your child will eventually go.
Step 6: Let the Celebration Begin! When your child successfully goes potty, throw him a potty party. Most importantly, your child can now call his favorite superhero and tell the hero about what he just did! Enlist the help of a friend or relative to play the hero and take the phone call. When your child has an accident, simply take him/her to the bathroom ten times in a row as you did before. This will continue to build muscle memory. And don't forget to keep up the positive reinforcement.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Saturday, June 6, 2009
This is what her hair looks like now, notice the little spikeys on top.